[Setup] Failed Plone 3.1.2 install using Windows Installer

afewtips afewtips at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 17:51:25 UTC 2008

I don't know your setup, but maybe try creating a new user that has
administrative rights and login as that person. In vista I need to choose
"Run as administrator" for some installs and not others.
Good luck.

AK0 wrote:

> I've cleaned up the install every time, removing the folders, as well as
> searching through the registry for any leftover pieces. I've rebooted and
> done a second pass to catch any services, registry entries or files that
> may have been locked that I didn't catch. I've also tried installing to an
> alternate folder name, avoiding using spaces or other special characters
> in the path name. I've tried older versions of the quick installer, but no
> luck there either.
>
> From other posts that describe similar errors, the answer has typically
> been a second installation of python. However, I can't find anything in
> the environment variables or registry that would hint at a second
> instance.
>
> But thanks for the suggestion anyway.
>

> afewtips wrote:
>>
>> I'm pretty new to Plone - but - I have had my share of errors.
>> First, you're using the quick installer for Windows?
>> You don't have to add a Plone Site with the installer, it is all taken
>> care of during install, so the error you get when you try to add is the
>> same process that the installer is probably doing as well.
>>
>> The one thing I would mention is that after I have uninstalled the
>> installation, I have always deleted the old Plone folder and made sure it
>> was gone. Are you cleaning up everything after it doesn't install?
>> And I don't insatll into the default name - Plone 3 - Rather I install
>> into Plone3 (No space).
>>
>> I have installed the 3.1 versions many times on both Windows XP and Vista
>> and haven't had any problems installing.
>> (All of my problems have been self inflicted).
>> Good luck - Hope this helps.
>>

>> AK0 wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been trying to install Plone 3 to a Windows XP environment, but
>>> keep encountering an error in the "Initializing Plone Site" step of the
>>> install. The rest of the installation completes successfully and I'm
>>> able to access the ZMI, but the default Plone site does not appear to
>>> have been added. When I try to add a Plone Site product directly in the
>>> ZMI, I encounter the same error message that popped up running the
>>> installer.
>>>
>>> Error encountered running SiteSetup.py
>>> Error Type: TypeError
>>> Error Value: __init__() takes exactly 1 argument (2 given)
>>>
>>> Similar posts in other forums have suggested removing AOL instant
>>> messenger or other web servers that may be running, but I've never had
>>> any of these installed. I've searched and removed all files and registry
>>> entries that refer to python, apache or other potential offending apps,
>>> but still no luck.
>>>
>>> Below is the post-install log dump. Any suggestions on what I may be
>>> missing would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> -------------------------------------
>>> 06/26/08 15:22:18: 2936: ['C:\\Program Files\\Plone
>>> 3\\Zope\\bin\\mkzopeinstance.py', '-d', 'C:\\Program Files\\Plone
>>> 3\\Data', '-u', 'admin:acdeg99']
>>> Wrote 'C:\\Program Files\\Plone 3\\Data\\.\\bin\\runzope.bat'
>>> Wrote 'C:\\Program Files\\Plone 3\\Data\\.\\bin\\runzope'
>>> Changed mode for C:\Program Files\Plone 3\Data\.\bin\runzope to 777
>>> Wrote 'C:\\Program Files\\Plone 3\\Data\\.\\bin\\setenv.bat'
>>> Wrote 'C:\\Program Files\\Plone 3\\Data\\.\\bin\\test.bat'
>>> Wrote 'C:\\Program Files\\Plone 3\\Data\\.\\bin\\zopectl'
>>> Changed mode for C:\Program Files\Plone 3\Data\.\bin\zopectl to 777
>>> Wrote 'C:\\Program Files\\Plone 3\\Data\\.\\bin\\zopeservice.py'
>>> Changed mode for C:\Program Files\Plone 3\Data\.\bin\zopeservice.py to
>>> 777
>>> Wrote 'C:\\Program Files\\Plone 3\\Data\\.\\etc\\plone.conf'
>>> Wrote 'C:\\Program Files\\Plone 3\\Data\\.\\etc\\zope.conf'
>>> Wrote 'C:\\Program Files\\Plone 3\\Data\\.\\lib\\python\\README.txt'
>>> 06/26/08 15:22:18: 2936: finished
>>> 06/26/08 15:22:19: 3188: ['C:\\Program Files\\Plone
>>> 3\\Data\\bin\\zopeservice.py', '--startup', 'auto', 'install']
>>> Installing service Zope_1313807186
>>> Service installed
>>> 06/26/08 15:22:23: 3188: finished
>>> 06/26/08 15:22:23: 2872: ['C:\\Program Files\\Plone