[Setup] Data Recovery

Terry Corbet tcorbet at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jan 11 22:21:30 UTC 2008

I've read the archives of other similar database recovery problems and
suggested solutions, but cannot find one that seems to cover my case.

01. Last summer we were running Plone 2.5.1 on Windows XP with Zope 2.9.
Lots of work spent adding features, tuning learning etc, but then the
project was put on hold.  I have a good backup of the directory
Plone2\Data\var, but some uninstall of something on the host is preventing
restart.

02.  Attempt to restart Zope Instance in Services yields:
Windows could not start the Zope instance at c:|\Plone2\Data
Event viewer provides these two clues:
Could not find the service's PythonClass entry in the registry  Error 1814;
the specified resource name cannot be found in the image.
Could not locate the module name in the Python class string (ie. no '.')

03.  Attempt to run C:\Plone2\Python\pythonw.exe
"C:\Plone2\XController\wxApp.py" "C:\Plone2\Data"
"C:\Plone2\Zope\lib\python"  results in:
The application has failed to start because pywintype24.dll was not found.
Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

04.  Actually I think my first attempt at recovery has compounded the
problem.  I did a fresh install of Plone 2.5.5 -- without uninstalling any
thing.  That install went fine, so I tried to swap out the
c:\Plone25\Data\var with the old one and restart with my fingers crossed.
The error now is:
An error occured when changing the state of this service and it is now in a
state that was not expected.
I am advised to look for additional information in the Event Viewer, but
this time there is none.
The long popup error does suggest running in debug mode.

05.  I don't seem to find a script in c:\Plone25\Data\bin that specifically
starts the process in some kind of debug mode, but ever hopeful I find a
test.bat that runs test.py.  Boy does it, I am about 10 minutes thorugh
1098/2272 tests that it is performing.  That must not be debug mode.

06.  So, if anyone can suggest a probable way to be able to preserve the
contents of a 2.5.1 era database after cleaning house and installing a clean
2.5.5 Plone/Zope, I would be so appreciative.
OR,
If no one is really sure, but does know how to run Plone in 'debug mode' so
that I can find why startup fails with the older database files, that would
also be very helpful.