[Setup] dealing with default site objects after upgrades

deesto john.destefano at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 20:36:32 UTC 2008

By default, Plone v2.x sites contain objects that, when migrated to v3, seem
to be untouched by the migration process.  These objects include the
ATContentTypes tool, which I have found to be critical in replacing when
migrating sites: if I don't remove this object and replace it with an
updated ATContentTypes tool object, unless the migrated site contains little
or no content, the migration fails.

Many other seemingly important objects also go untouched, including
archetype_tool, mimetypes_registry, uid_catalog, etc.

This even seems to be true in the Zope root in the ZMI: objects such as
Browser Id Manafer, Session Data Manager, the VHM, and a bunch of
"standard_*" templates exist from the previous version.

First: should site admins be concerned about this at all, since the migrated
sites seem to function okay anyway?

And if so, what v2 objects are recommended to be removed, replaced, etc.,
both from within Plone sites and at the Zope root?