[Setup] Re: TypeError when migrating from 2.1.1 to 3.0.5

Nikolas Lam nlam87346 at library.usyd.edu.au
Thu Feb 28 11:37:49 UTC 2008

> Nikolas Lam wrote:
> > Through the ZMI, I could see that there was a "broken" SimpleForum
> > object. I'm not too worried if I lose old forums as there wasn't much in
> > there, so I deleted the object and carried out a database pack. However,
> > when I try the migrate again I get the same error.
>
> Nik,
>    Just in case you didn't already, what about doing an audit of your
> site and make sure there are definitely no instances of these old
> forums? If you don't care about them anymore, do a search and get rid of
> all of them.
> Its a good idea to do a full catalog rebuild after that, then the
> database pack, then try migration again after that.
> This might help migration along...
> Nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure if I've done the "audit"
correctly, but having gone into a few random articles via the plone site
itself, as well as doing a "find" via the ZMI for objects of type
"SimpleForum:Forum" or "SimpleForum:Post" I didn't come up with any left
over bits of SimpleForum.

I also wasn't sure about how to go about doing the full catalog rebuild,
but what I did was go to the plone instance's "portal_catalog", put a
tick in all the items in the "indexes" tab and pressed "Reindex".

I then did a pack, shut down plone and copied Data.fs to a fresh install
of zope/plone on the new server.

Unfortunately the results are exactly the same:

Result of the attempt...

      * Starting the migration from version: 2.1.1
      * Attempting to upgrade from: 2.1.1
      * Registered tools as utilities.
      * Removed plone_3rdParty\CMFTopic layer from all skins.
      * Migrated old actions to new actions stored in portal_actions.
      * Added rename contentmenu action to actions tool.
      * Added se-highlight.js to portal_javascipt
      * Removing workflow from Discussion Item
      * Added must_change_password property to member data
      * Upgrade to: 2.1.2-rc1, completed
      * Attempting to upgrade from: 2.1.2-rc1
      * Upgrade to: 2.1.2-rc2, completed
      * Attempting to upgrade from: 2.1.2-rc2
      * Upgrade aborted
      * Error type: exceptions.TypeError
      * Error value: attempt to wrap extension method using an object
        that is not an extension class instance.
      * File
        "/usr/lib/zope/lib/python/Products/CMFPlone/MigrationTool.py",
        line 210, in upgrade newv, msgs = self._upgrade(newv)
      * File
        "/usr/lib/zope/lib/python/Products/CMFPlone/MigrationTool.py",
        line 321, in _upgrade res = function(self.aq_parent)
      * File
        "/usr/lib/zope/lib/python/Products/CMFPlone/migrations/v2_1/two11_two12.py", line 53, in two12rc2_two12 registerToolsAsUtilities(portal, out)
      * File
        "/usr/lib/zope/lib/python/Products/CMFPlone/migrations/v3_0/alphas.py", line 746, in registerToolsAsUtilities if sm.queryUtility(reg[1]) is None:
      * File "/usr/lib/zope/lib/python/zope/component/registry.py", line
        132, in queryUtility return self.utilities.lookup((), provided,
        name, default)
      * File
        "/usr/lib/zope/lib/python/five/localsitemanager/registry.py",
        line 39, in _uncached_lookup result = _wrap(result, registry)
      * File
        "/usr/lib/zope/lib/python/five/localsitemanager/registry.py",
        line 146, in _wrap comp =
        base.__of__(Acquisition.aq_parent(parent))
      * End of upgrade path, migration has finished
      * The upgrade path did NOT reach current version
      * Migration has failed

I'd be grateful for any other suggestions that might help me upgrade
this plone instance. Is it possible, for example, to find out what
object(s) the upgrade is failing on, and excising it from the database?

Regards,

Nik Lam