[Setup] Installing Python modules with Unified Installer: Deb. Etch

Jupiter2 jameslunn at iinet.net.au
Sat Feb 23 00:29:44 UTC 2008

Thanks for the tip, YMMV,

Since my first post I worked out that I read about the need to install the
openldap development environment, but you've given the package an explicit
name (which really helps), and also I hadn't been sure which sasl package to
install.
It will take me a week or so to get back to this, will let you know how I
get on.

Thanks for the response

Some more observations (I'm not asking for a response on these):
I can use synaptic to pull down packages easily enough, but I'm also working
out how to separately install them into the python install that comes with
the universal installer(UI).
I think there are at least a couple of ways to do this, using 'python build'
is  one, the other is using 'buildout' (I have a copy of the M. Aspeli's
book on Plone Development). I saw in a forum (somewhere) that someone made
the observation that buildout seemed to be a route more guaranteed to get a
result. I noticed in the Downloads page that buildout is coming to a future
release of the UI.
So one thought I had was to give up on ldap for the time being and maybe try
doing it later on when buildout is in the UI.
The other thing that is complicating issues is that I am using the Ebox
distro as a firewall in my DMZ and I was going to use the ldap install from
that so that the ldap installation is not on the same box as plone. So I
have to work out where to put the ldap development files as well.
cheers
James L.