[Setup] install lxml using buildout fails

Jordi Haarman haarman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 10:58:16 UTC 2008

Hi!

I'm kinda new to plone and after reading martin's book I am trying to
install plone the 'correct way', using buildout. Unfortunately I can't
get lxml installed using buildout. That is probably because of my
noobiness and I hope someone here can help me. I tried different
versions methods but none was successfull.

I tried to use buildout to create a local version of lxml with
plone.recipe.lxml.

I added the include dirs as described here:
https://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/7120
but I still get the following error (although it builds the bin files
in ${buildout:directory}/parts/lxml/bin )

I have the following in buildout.cfg:

[lxml]
recipe=plone.recipe.lxml
egg = lxml == 1.3.3
#egg = lxml == 2.0.1
#libxml2_url = http://xmlsoft.org/sources/libxml2-2.6.31.tar.gz
#libxslt_url = http://xmlsoft.org/sources/libxslt-1.1.22.tar.gz

include-dirs =
   ${buildout:directory}/parts/lxml/include/libxslt
   ${buildout:directory}/parts/lxml/include/libxml2
   ${buildout:directory}/parts/lxml/include/libexslt
   ${buildout:directory}/parts/lxml/include
library-dirs = ${buildout:directory}/parts/lxml/lib

that gave me the following:

Building lxml version 1.3.3
warning: no previously-included files found matching 'doc/pyrex.txt'
warning: no previously-included files found matching 'src/lxml/etree.pxi'
gcc: unrecognized option '-R/home/jhaarman/Plone-3.0.5/holster/parts/lxml/lib'
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lz
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
error: Setup script exited with error: command '/usr/bin/gcc' failed
with exit status 1
An error occured when trying to install lxml 1.3.3.Look above this
message for any errors thatwere output by easy_install.
While:
 Installing lxml.
Error: Couldn't install: lxml 1.3.3

when removing the lib line I get:
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/tmpQ3Fg-Fbuildout-lxml/libxslt-1.1.21'
Building lxml version 1.3.3
warning: no previously-included files found matching 'doc/pyrex.txt'
warning: no previously-included files found matching 'src/lxml/etree.pxi'
gcc: unrecognized option '-R/home/jhaarman/Plone-3.0.5/holster/parts/lxml/lib'
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lxslt
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
error: Setup script exited with error: command '/usr/bin/gcc' failed
with exit status 1
An error occured when trying to install lxml 1.3.3.Look above this
message for any errors thatwere output by easy_install.
While:
 Installing lxml.
Error: Couldn't install: lxml 1.3.3

and with 2.0.1 and newest libxml2 and libxslt I get:
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/tmpfKKOAwbuildout-lxml/libxslt-1.1.21'
Building lxml version 2.0.1.
NOTE: Trying to build without Cython, pre-generated 'src/lxml/etree.c'
needs to be available.
ERROR: /bin/sh: xslt-config: command not found

** make sure the development packages of libxml2 and libxslt are installed **

ERROR: /bin/sh: xslt-config: command not found

** make sure the development packages of libxml2 and libxslt are installed **

ERROR: /bin/sh: xslt-config: command not found

** make sure the development packages of libxml2 and libxslt are installed **

warning: no previously-included files found matching 'doc/pyrex.txt'
gcc: unrecognized option '-R/home/jhaarman/Plone-3.0.5/holster/parts/lxml/lib'
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lz
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
error: Setup script exited with error: command '/usr/bin/gcc' failed
with exit status 1
An error occured when trying to install lxml 2.0.1.Look above this
message for any errors thatwere output by easy_install.
While:
 Installing lxml.
Error: Couldn't install: lxml 2.0.1

Also if I put this line in buildout.cfg under [buildout]:
eggs =  lxml == 1.3.3
I get errors like the following:
src/lxml/etree_defs.h:40:31: error: libxml/xmlversion.h: No such file
or directory

I then tried another approach and tried this method:
http://faassen.n--tree.net/blog/view/weblog/2006/10/3/0

And that also complained that xslt-config is not installed.

In both setups that is actually installed by the procedure itselves.

Do you have any suggestions cause I'm totally stuck here.

Regards,
Jordi

--
Groet,