[Setup] easy_install leads to <PloneSite at broken>

grahamperrin G.J.Perrin at bton.ac.uk
Sat Feb 16 06:41:37 UTC 2008

 1. install Plone
 2. start Plone, <http://localhost:8080/Plone> is OK
 3. easy_install something, for example

sudo /Applications/Plone-3.0.5/Python-2.4.4/bin/easy_install
Products.Ploneboard

 4. restart Plone
 5. <http://localhost:8080/Plone> presents <PloneSite at broken>

Not a Ploneboard issue. Other examples exist.
<http://plone.org/products/ploneboard/issues/157> describes an installation
problem.

* What, if anything, can be done to minimise the occurrence of such
problems?

My experience is that where easy_install fails, buildout with the same eggs
succeeds. It's the time wasted through problems with easy_install that
causes me to say so often in IRC, "buildout is our friend".

I see that buildout will be a future base for all installers
<http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/7853> :)