[Setup] Hesitant to take the plunge

Alberto Lopes alberto at alopes.com
Wed Dec 17 16:06:07 UTC 2008

TIA,

There are more experienced people here, that could give you a more precise
advice, but I wouldn't be afraid to try Plone in Windows in your case.

I am using it for almost a year and have no issues about it. In fact, the
guys who created the Windows installers (both buildout and non-buildout)
were very careful to include a "dedicated" python interpreter inside the
install dir. So, by default, Plone does not use the "system-wide" Python
interpreter.

That raises some minor issues that you should be aware of. For instance,
when easy_installing anything, you need to be careful to use the --prefix
option to point to the dedicated Python interpreter.

Also, there are some packages (specially the binary ones) that use a
Win32all installer that looks for a Python interpreter reference in Windows
registry, and the Plone installer does not register its Python in Winreg. In
that case, you might need to use a temp registry solution (like the one
given here:http://effbot.org/zone/python-register.htm) or look for a
different installer (which might need a Win C compiler, and so on).

There are even some "Windows-exclusive" options to the instance script, that
allow you to install and uninstall windows services from the command line.

All in all, my Plone experience in Windows have been good so far.

Regards,

Alberto