[Setup] Re: Problem migrating from Plone 2.05 to 3.1.7 (resent)

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Thu Dec 11 00:53:48 UTC 2008

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 02:56:35 -0800, Maurits van Rees
<m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl> wrote:

> Steve McMahon, on 2008-11-23:
>> Check your event log for errors. You may wish to clear it, then try
>> starting again so that it'll be easier to find the new errors.
>>
>> Also, check to make sure that nothing is already using the same ports;
>> that's a common source of startup failures.
>>
>> Finally, consider not tryint to make the jump from 2.0.5 to 3.x in one
>> step. The step from 2.0.5 to 2.1 is actually the hardest, and most
>> problematic. (2.1 was actually a major version change.) Many of us
>> doing migrations of really old sites do it one step at a time, fixing
>> problems as we move from one major version to the next.
>
> Plus: Plone 3.x does not contain all the needed migration steps; it
> can only be used to migrate from Plone 2.1 or 2.5.  For migrating a
> Plone 2.0 site you need an intermediate step: either install the
> latest Plone 2.1 or Plone 2.5 first and upgrade to that.
>
> For version specific upgrade information, see:
> http://plone.org/migration

It's http://plone.org upgrade.

And the general rules is: use the latest version you can get away with, as
later releases may have upgrade improvments. In this case, I'd find the
latest release in the 2.5.x series, use that to upgrade my 2.0.x site, and
then do the 2.5.x -> 3.1.x upgrade.

--
Alexander Limi · http://limi.net