[Setup] Portlets not visible in Manage Portlets

Christopher Woelk cwoelk at ucsd.edu
Tue Aug 26 23:14:14 UTC 2008

>Your screen shot does not look like the default plone theme.  So
>either you or someone else has changed the css already.  So it is hard
>to say which css file would need to be changed.
>
>First look at the html source of the page.  I suspect there is some
>html between "Portlets assigned here" and "Block/unblock portlets",
>both in the left and in the right column.  The smaller white space on
>the left and the bigger white space on the right lead me to that
>assumption.
>
>If my assumption is correct, then this code is indeed hidden with css,
>probably a simple mistake like white text on a white background.  Use
>for example the Firebug extension for Firefox to investigate what's
>wrong.  While debugging it helps to go to the Site Setup, then to Zope
>Management Interface, then portal_css and here check
>"Debug/development mode".  This will prevent the css from being
>combined into one large file, which would make it harder to find in
>which file you should make changes.  Now reload the manage-portlets
>page and investigate.

You are absolutely right!  I installed Subskins in order to customize my
site.  When I change the "Portlet skin" in the Subskins control panel to
"Subskins_portlets_base.css" I lose the ability to "see" the portlets in the
portlet manager.  This is indeed to inadequate code in the css file.  A
simple way to edit the portlets is to first switch the Subskins control
panel to "none", edit the portlets, and then choose the portlet skin you
really want.  Note: not all css files in the Portlet skin control panel have
this issue.