[Setup] Re: Portlets not visible in Manage Portlets

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Tue Aug 26 22:47:34 UTC 2008

Christopher Woelk, on 2008-08-26:
>> A guess: perhaps they are there but are invisible due to css.
>
> Thanks for responding.  Could you expand on your comment.  Do I have to
> change an option somewhere?  Should I edit a css file?  Which one?

Your screen shot does not look like the default plone theme.  So
either you or someone else has changed the css already.  So it is hard
to say which css file would need to be changed.

First look at the html source of the page.  I suspect there is some
html between "Portlets assigned here" and "Block/unblock portlets",
both in the left and in the right column.  The smaller white space on
the left and the bigger white space on the right lead me to that
assumption.

If my assumption is correct, then this code is indeed hidden with css,
probably a simple mistake like white text on a white background.  Use
for example the Firebug extension for Firefox to investigate what's
wrong.  While debugging it helps to go to the Site Setup, then to Zope
Management Interface, then portal_css and here check
"Debug/development mode".  This will prevent the css from being
combined into one large file, which would make it harder to find in
which file you should make changes.  Now reload the manage-portlets
page and investigate.

            Work | http://zestsoftware.nl/