[Setup] Moving a buildout into production

Sergey V. sergey.volobuev at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 00:12:29 UTC 2008

1. Put your buildout configuration into svn. This actually includes only the
root folder, bootstrap.py and buildout.cfg. You will probably need another
config which includes settings which are deployment-specific, let's call it
deployment.cfg.
2. Check everything out at the server:
   svn co svn://mysvnserver.com/mycoolsite
3. go to the mycoolsite folder and run bootstrap script:
   python bootstrap.py
4. Let buildout to do the rest of the job:
   bin/buildout -c deployment.cfg
5. Start the server:
   bin/instance fg (or bin/instance start)

If you made any ZODB changes at the dev site which you want to transfer to
the production, you will need to copy Data.fs too.

The point is - generally you don't need to set up a Zope instance at the
server separately, buildout will create it for you. All you need is Python
of the right version.

In the future if you need to update your production configuration all you
need is

svn up
bin/buildout -c deployment.cfg
bin/instance restart