[Setup] Re: User permissions Buildout error

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Tue Aug 19 21:54:53 UTC 2008

afewtips.com, on 2008-08-19:

> I am doing my first buildout and everything works perfectly until...
>
>  sudo ./bin/instance fg
> I have changed the effective user, the user name... all the same. Do I need
> to create a zope user or can I run the instance under my login (which is
> admin rights)?

The user running zope should not have too much rights.  That at least
means he should not be root.  You can debate which unix groups the
user is allowed to be in.

The only reason I know for starting the instance as root with the
effective user set, is if you want your zope instance available at a
port number below 1024 (that range is reserved for root).  But you
have port 8080 so that is not necessary.

In all buildouts I have used so far:
- I have created the buildout as normal user.
- I have not set effective user.
- I have started the instance as normal user.
- I have not used sudo or su for starting the instance.

            Work | http://zestsoftware.nl/