[Setup] Re: Will installing with Apt-Get break my current website?

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Tue Aug 19 00:23:32 UTC 2008

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 12:28:41 -0700, chrisoverly
<chrisoverly at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, I want to install plone, but have not due to the fact that I
> currently
> have a website and control panel on my server.
>
> My question is will installing using apt-get (on debian Etch) break my
> current config?

We generally recommend against using any of the unofficial prepackaged
releases of Plone. Going with the Unified Installer is a better strategy,
as you'll get a self-contained install that won't interfere with anything
else (nor will it break if you upgrade e.g. Python as part of an OS
upgrade).

The other part of your question is "will it interfere with my current web
site? The answer is no, your current web site is running on port 80 (I
presume), and Plone by default runs on port 8080. So they should not
affect eachother.

But, use the Unified Installer if you can.

--
Alexander Limi · http://limi.net