[Setup] Can't import .zexp into Plone

JimL jim.leek at eng.ox.ac.uk
Mon Aug 11 15:57:23 UTC 2008

I seem to have got this working!

For the benefit of others attempting this, this is what I was trying to do:

 - I have created Plone via buildout
(http://plone.org/documentation/tutorial/buildout) on a Solaris box.
 - My buildout is running zeo.
 - I have another zeo site (built with the Unified Installer on Linux) which
has the sites separated into several data.fs files
(http://plone.org/documentation/how-to/multiple-plone-sites-per-zope-instance-using-separate-data-fs-files-for-each-one).
 - I wanted to transfer the sites from the Linux box to the zeo buildout
install on the Solaris box, and keep them as separate *.fs files.

And this is how I managed it:

 1) As Nick said, ensure that the Plone version on my Solaris box matched
that on my Linux box. The Linux version was 3.0.6, so to reproduce this in
my Solaris buildout I modified the following line in buildout.cfg:

[plone]
recipe = plone.recipe.plone>=3.0.6,<3.1dev

 2) Ensure that all the products on the Linux box were copied across to the
Solaris box (this ensures the same versions are used), and make sure file
permissions are such that everyone has read access (I think this is where I
became unstuck when I first posted this).

 3) Using the information further down the tutorial page
(http://plone.org/documentation/how-to/multiple-plone-sites-per-zope-instance-using-separate-data-fs-files-for-each-one#1159992971)
I modified the zeo.conf and zope.conf in my Solaris buildout installation:

Lines added to ZEO.CONF
=================
<filestorage 1>
  path $INSTANCE/var/Data.fs
</filestorage>

<filestorage 2>
  path $INSTANCE/var/BioMedIA.fs
</filestorage>

<filestorage 3>
  path $INSTANCE/var/BioInstruments.fs
</filestorage>

Lines added to the ZOPE.CONF of both client 1 and client 2
======================================
<zodb_db main>
    # Main database
    cache-size 5000
# ZEOStorage database
    <zeoclient>
      server 127.0.0.1:8100
      storage 1
      name zeostorage
      var $INSTANCE/var
      cache-size 30MB

    </zeoclient>
    mount-point /
</zodb_db>

<zodb_db BioMedIA>
    # FileStorage database for Biomedical Image Analysis
   <zeoclient>
     server localhost:8100
     storage 2
     name BioMedIA
     var $INSTANCE/var

   </zeoclient>
   mount-point /BioMedIA
   #explicit declaration of object ZODB mount point object type
   container-class OFS.Folder.Folder
</zodb_db>

<zodb_db BioInstruments>
    # FileStorage database for Biomedical Instrumentation
   <zeoclient>
     server localhost:8100
     storage 3
     name BioInstruments
     var $INSTANCE/var

   </zeoclient>
   mount-point /BioInstruments
   #explicit declaration of object ZODB mount point object type
   container-class OFS.Folder.Folder
</zodb_db>

(Make sure the "filestorage" and "storage" numbers match).

 4) On the Linux box (within the ZMI) I exported the entire first website
(BioMedIA) by clicking the "import/export" button. On the next screen I
chose to "Save to file on server". This exported the site into a .zexp file.

 5) Copy the .zexp file into the "Plone/parts/client1/import" folder on the
Solaris box.

 6) Start up Plone on the Solaris box.

 7) Add a ZODB mount-point for the new site
(http://plone.org/documentation/how-to/multiple-plone-sites-per-zope-instance-using-separate-data-fs-files-for-each-one).
This appears as a folder in the ZMI once created.

 8) Enter this folder in the ZMI and choose "import/export".

 9) Within the "import filename" dropdown, the .zexp file should appear as a
option (assuming the .zexp file was placed in the correct place in the
filesystem - i.e. the import directory).

 10) Click on import and be prepared to wait.

 11) Finished - the site should now be available as a separate data.fs file
in the new zeo buildout.

Jim