[Setup] Plone 3.x and Redhat/CentOS

Charles Riley riley.charles at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 19:48:21 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm setting up a server to run plone using CentOS 5.  The python that comes
with CentOS 5 is version 2.4.3.
I'd like to install the 3.1 beta, but I see that it requires python 2.4.4.
Normally, I'd just make a 2.4.5 rpm (which is the last 2.4 source release of
python) and install it alongside 2.4.3, then use the --with-python in zope
(and pil and so on) to force the use of python 2.4.5.

My problem is that plone 3.x requires lxml, which requires libxml2, which it
seems a lot of CentOS packages depend on.  libxml2's python bindings are
built against python 2.4.3.  Would it be valid to make an rpm of just python
2.4.5 libxml2 bindings and install that alongside the system's python 2.4.3
bindings? Without changing the base libxml2 library?

edit:  Ok I just noticed that you only need lxml for running tests.. What
kind of tests?  e.g. Is this just for plone developers, or site developers?

Thanks!