[Setup] Plone 3.0 upgrade in Windows

Dan Thomas dthomas at ois-online.com
Tue Sep 25 03:45:07 UTC 2007

In general Plone does not like to be "installed over" the previous version,
unlike many Windows programs.

Better practice is to create a new Plone directory, say /Plone3. Next,
follow the steps in section 3, General Procedure, by copying in your Data.fs
and any Products you've added, then running the migration tool after you've
fired up your new Plone.

One huge advantage of this method is that your old Plone is still intact and
you can retreat to it if you encounter problems with the upgrade. Take care
to use different ports in plone.conf (I like to increment them each by one)
if you decide to start both old and new Plone at the same time.

Dan