[Setup] product install problems on 3.0: ZMI, control panel problems

rjnagle idiotprogrammer at fastmailbox.net
Mon Sep 3 17:55:57 UTC 2007

Hi, there, I'm testing some products for 3.0.

It's possible/likely that a number of the products I'm trying just won't
work in 3.0. I understand that. But I'm experiencing problems related to
simple installs having to do with the plone interface.

First, I tried installing ContentLicensing, but apparently that doesn't work
with 3.0. It shows up in prefs_install_products_form after I place it in
Products directory, but clicking the install box doesn't work. In fact, when
I restart,  zope won't even run  unless ContentLicensing is removed from the
Products directory.

Now here's the odd thing.  Even after I remove the ContentLicensing product
directory, it still appears in  ZMI in /Control_Panel/Products as
"INSTALLED." Also,  in plone_control_panel, apparently there is a space for
Add On  Product configuration.  I still see multiple lines that says Content
Licensing (perhaps for each unsuccessful time I tried installing).

Now here's what I'm wondering:
1)is it common for zope to fail to start when a plone product fails to
install? (That would not seem to be a clean failure to me)
2) is deleting the phantom references  at    /Control_Panel/Products
necessary and/or sufficient?  (I see several products listed here  which I
tried unsuccessfully to install earlier).

One other problem just to make things interesting. I'm still getting used to
the plone 3 environment on my shared hosting at webfaction. But restarting
zope is taking a while (as long as a minute)  Also, I'm getting strange
error messages  like this about core products:

2007-09-03T12:34:48 WARNING Application Duplicate Product name: After
'/home2/me/webapps/2plone30/Zope/Products', I skipped the one in
'/home2/me/webapps/2plone30/Zope-2.10.4-final.instance/Products'.
------
2007-09-03T12:34:48 WARNING Application Duplicate Product name: After
'/home2/me/webapps/2plone30/Zope/Products', I skipped the one in
'/home2/me/webapps/2plone30/Zope-2.10.4-final.instance/Products'."

Webfaction's  configuration uses a symbolic link from
/home/me/webapps/2plone30/Zope to
/home/me/webapps/2plone30/Zope-2.10.4-final.instance/

Somewhere, zope is picking up that it needs to check both paths, and that is
causing the error message. (in zope.conf I have %define INSTANCE and %define
ZOPE but both are referencing  the symbolic links ).

checking the zmi config information,
ZOPE_HOME is the actual path
but INSTANCE_HOME goes to the symbolic path
/home/me/webapps/2plone30/Zope-2.10.4-final.instance/

I don't see anywhere in zope.conf or site.conf  or anything in the etc
directory that might allow me to specify a path. (it may be because of the
shared hosting environment).

I was wondering whether this duplicate path error might have something to do
with the other product install errors. What do you think?

Thanks.

Robert Nagle
Houston, Texas
http://www.imaginaryplanet.net/weblogs/idiotprogrammer/