[Setup] Module and Theme install

MGraser Mike.Graser at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 18:39:29 UTC 2007

I am new to Plone and am evaluating it for use by our company.  I've spent
many hours attempting to install some themes and modules (I've tried DIY
Plone Style, PyBoom, SubSkins, PressRoom, LinguaPlone; some are listed for
2.5 and 3.0, some specifically for 3.0).  I've searched the forums and did
not come up with anything that helped me get clued in (there were several
applicable posts, but they didn't work for me).  I imagine I must be missing
a very basic point, since I know that installation is basic.  I apologize
for my lack of knowledge here and am hoping you can help.

I downloaded the products to my local Windows box and extracted them.  I
then uploaded the extracted folders to the proper directory on our hosted
linux server (/opt/Plone-3.0.2/zinstance/Products) and restarted Zope
(several times, both command line and in ZMI), but nothing showed up in the
Add-on Products page. By the way, I only tried to install one of these
products at a time.  I was wondering what I might be doing wrong.  Here is
the rundown on my setup:

Plone 3.0.2
CMF-2.1.0
Zope 2.10.4-final
Python 2.4.4
Linux 2.6.9-023stab041.3-enterprise (I believe that's a Red Hat distro)

I know I'm going to hate myself for not getting this, but...wait that's
already begun...