[Setup] problem with security-settings and auto-generated passwords in plone 3

Christoph Schindler hop at 30hopsmax.at
Sun Oct 14 21:37:27 UTC 2007

Hi!

I set up Zope-2.10.4-final and Plone-3.0.1 from Source on Linux
(Debian/Etch), following mainly this howto:

  http://plone.org/documentation/tutorial/robust-installation

Everything appears to work fine.

However, the following makes me a bit suspicious that there is something
wrong with my installation:

I followed the link "Decide what security level you want on your site."
on the welcome page. There I made sure that "Let users select their own
passwords" is _not_ checked.

Then I created a user for myself ("Users and Groups" -> "Add New User").
In this form I (the admin) was not asked for a password.

I received an email with a link to /passwordreset/976c21ee... where I
found a form that asked me to set a new password for my user.

I then made sure that the option "Let users select their own passwords"
_is_ checked, after which the admin got a field for entering a password,
but the user got the same email and also got a form that asked him for a
new password.

In neither of the two cases a password was auto-generated, as was
promised by subtext of above mentioned option ("If not selected,
passwords will be autogenerated and mailed to users, [...]").

What have I done wrong?

thanks!hop

--
Time flies like an arrow... but fruit flies like a banana.