[Setup] Plone site viewable in Zope Manager, not on site...

Steve McMahon steve at dcn.org
Fri Nov 16 15:57:51 UTC 2007

Hi Jeff,

You didn't get an 'object not found' error because Zope was able to find
a "plone" object to return. It just wasn't a useful one, or the one you
wanted. So, it's more an oddity, or a minor bug around the identifier
"plone" than it is a case-sensitivity matter.

That said, yes, the Zope Application Server is case-sensitive, and I
know of no way to turn that off.

Steve

Jeff Albro wrote:

> Thanks Steve.
>
> It turns out I got bit by "case sensitivity"
>
> localhost:8080/Plone works, but localhost:8080/plone doesn't.
>
> Is there a reason that there is no default "object not found, try a
> different name" warning instead of
>
> <Products.Five.metaclass.Plone object at 0xd267e4c>
>
> Is there a way to make it not case sensitive, or should I restrict all
> names to lower case?
>
> -Jeff
>
> Steve McMahon wrote:
>> Try checking your event.log file to see what prevented Five from loading.
>>
>> You may also try starting Zope in foreground mode. If you installed a
>> "standalone" instance, the command for that will be:
>>
>> zinstance/bin/zopectl fg
>>
>> starting from your Plone-3.0.3 directory.
>>
>> Starting in foreground is a great way to diagnose a problem because
>> Zope will stop on product-load failure.
>>
>> And .. by the way, make sure you're using the version of the Unified
>> Installer with "Rev1" in the filename. The earlier version was fouled.

> Jeff Albro - Information Technology Manager
> Boston University School of Education
> jalbro at bu.edu   (617) 358-2966

Steve McMahon
Reid-McMahon, LLC