[Setup] Apache 2.2 rewrite rules

pacoverde glenn at elaw.org
Fri Nov 9 21:20:29 UTC 2007

Ricardo Newbery wrote:

> On Nov 7, 2007, at 1:18 PM, pacoverde wrote:
>
>> Does anyone see anything blatantly wrong with this rewrite rule?
>>
>> RewriteEngine On
>> RewriteRule ^/(.*) \
>> http://localhost:11080/VirtualHostBase/http/www.example.org:80/
>> plone_site/site/VirtualHostRoot/$1
>> [L,P]
>>
>> I can access the ZMI directly via the "www.example.org:11080" URL,
>> but just
>> get a 403 Forbidden error when accessing anything at
>> www.example.org or
>> below. I have tried:
>>
>> RewriteRule ^/(.*) \
>> http://www.example.org:11080/VirtualHostBase/http/www.example.org:
>> 80/plone_site/site/VirtualHostRoot/$1
>> [L,P]
>>
>> also, but still no joy :(
>>
>> Configuration = Plone-2.5.3, Zope-2.9.6, Python-2.4.3,
>> Apache-2.2.6, FreeBSD
>> 6.2-RELEASE-p8
>> --
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Glenn
>

> Hi Glenn,
>
> You might have an apache access permission issue with the file space
> designated as the apache documentroot for this host.  To check this,
> place a test html file in the apache document root and disable the
> rewrite lines.  If you get the same error then you've got a basic
> access permission issue.  Check apache's error.log for clues.  Check
> the file system permissions.  Check to see if you have any access
> restrictions defined within the apache config.
>
> Ric

Hmmm...If I place a very basic index.html file in the Apache document root
for the VHost and disable all rewrite rules, I can access the document just
fine.

If I re-enable the rewrite rules (either based on docs on the Plone site, or
on James' how-to) we go back to the "403" Forbidden error. When this
happens, the error log for the VHost shows:

"[Fri Nov 09 13:05:54 2007] [warn] proxy: No protocol handler was valid for
the URL /index.html. If you are using a DSO version of mod_proxy, make sure
the proxy submodules are included in the configuration using LoadModule."

I've enabled mod_proxy_html and mod_proxy_connect:

     PROXY=on "Enable mod_proxy"
     PROXY_CONNECT=on "Enable mod_proxy_connect"
     PROXY_FTP=off "Enable mod_proxy_ftp"
     PROXY_HTTP=on "Enable mod_proxy_http"
     PROXY_AJP=off "Enable mod_proxy_ajp"
     PROXY_BALANCER=off "Enable mod_proxy_balancer"

but the problem remains.

Other ideas, anyone?
--
Glenn