[Setup] Apache 2.2 rewrite rules

Ricardo Newbery ric at digitalmarbles.com
Thu Nov 8 01:41:07 UTC 2007

On Nov 7, 2007, at 4:38 PM, James Stroud wrote:

> On Nov 7, 2007, at 3:46 PM, Ricardo Newbery wrote:
>> On Nov 7, 2007, at 3:19 PM, James Stroud wrote:
>>> I had the same problem with the VHM. If you are using apache2
>>> (which I think you are) try starting from the beginning with my
>>> instructions rather than trying to debug what you have:
>>>
>>>    http://jeldi.com/jamess-miscellaneous-how-tos/plone-3-apache-2/
>>> virtual-hosting/
>>
>> In your instructions, the LocationMatch directive is unnecessary
>> unless you also have forward proxies turned on via the
>> ProxyRequests directive.
>
> Perhaps post an alternative configuration that one might be able to
> test?

James, you didn't describe your problem.  Did you try the example in
the plone documentation you linked to on your page?  If so, what
precisely was the problem?  I see a few errors in that documentation
but nothing terrible egregious.

Note that except for some unnecessary directives and an unusual
redirect structure, your current configuration doesn't appear
*wrong*.  But then, neither did the configuration snippet that
started this thread (in that case, the problem is probably elsewhere
in the configuration).

>> I'm also not sure why you have a redirect to a subfolder url
>> before the rewrite line.  This seems unnecessary.
>
> This is explained in the fine print at the URL above.

Yes, I read the fine print.  I'm still not sure why the redirect.
You can achieve roughly the same objective by just adding additional
RewriteRules to pass selected requests straight to the Apache
filesystem.  The only advantage with your method may be that you
don't have to add these extra RewriteRules -- which hardly seems
onerous.

Again, this configuration is unusual but not necessarily *wrong*.  If
you prefer to keep the redirect, I suggest making it a 301 redirect
rather than the default 302 redirect:

RedirectMatch  301  ^/$  /Home

Among other attributes, this helps your Google rank by transferring
any link weight from anyone linking to your "root" page to your real
root page.

Ric