[Setup] detailed explanation of Mail Settings

browni Glen.J.Browning at erdc.usace.army.mil
Mon Nov 5 19:31:30 UTC 2007

Hello again,

Here is what I've done to try to implement your suggestions.

1. In /etc/sysconfig/network, I set the hostname to test.com and rebooted
the machine.
2. In mail settings, I replaced localhost with test.com and browni at localhost
with browni at test.com.  I then attempted to send a contact e-mail.  It still
fails as before.
3. I attempted to add a new user so that I could test is as some other user
than admin.  New user creation fails with the following error.
       "Failed to create your account: we were unable to send your password
to your email address:
       (-3, 'Temporary failure in name resolution')"

At this point, I have to ask... does it make any difference that this system
does not have an active internet connection?  I work in a secure military
environment, and this system is not allowed be be connected to the internet
until it has been completely configured, hardened, and tested.

Thanks for your persistence,
browni.