[Setup] Documentation of ZOPE_MANAGEZODB_PORT Access and Winx64

Chris Chambers chris at cpcengineeringdesign.com
Sat Mar 10 07:11:01 UTC 2007

Excuse the new thread but Alexander replied to a previous post and it didn't
add to the thread (for me in Nabble) and the problem appears intermittent so
for both reasons  I would like to document the behaviour for the record in a
new thread.

Setup was Plone 2 on WinXp x64
Initially access to port 8080 unavailable.
Edit plone.conf and set to 8090.
Plone runs fine.
Runs fine for two days
Day three View Site brings up a blank page, Plone icon in address bar and no
error message.
Unistall Plone 2

Install Plone 3

Problem the same and persists with various other port numbers being tried
8080, 9090, 8090, 8095.
(a) Unable to get ZMI from Plone Controller which ever port selected says
Firefox can't
establish a connection to the server at localhost:8090 [or whatever]
(b) No error but blank (Plone white) screen on http://localhost/ but Plone
icon showing in address bar
(c) Same error on runzope.bat each time
C:\Program Files (x86)\Plone 3\Data\bin>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Plone
3\Python\p
ython.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Plone
3\Zope\lib\python\Zope2\Startup\run.py"
-C "C:\Program Files (x86)\Plone 3\Data\etc\zope.conf"
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Plone 3\Zope\lib\python\Zope2\Startup\run.py",
li
ne 56, in ?
   run()
 File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Plone 3\Zope\lib\python\Zope2\Startup\run.py",
li
ne 21, in run
   starter.prepare()
 File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Plone
3\Zope\lib\python\Zope2\Startup\__init__.py
", line 96, in prepare
   self.setupServers()
 File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Plone
3\Zope\lib\python\Zope2\Startup\__init__.py
", line 229, in setupServers
   raise ZConfig.ConfigurationError(socket_err
ZConfig.ConfigurationError: There was a problem starting a server of type
"HTTPS
erver". This may mean that your user does not have permission to bind to the
por
t which the server is trying to use or the port may already be in use by
another
application. (Permission denied)

I have shut down and restarted two or three times with pauses in between.
Now without further tinkering Plone is running fine on port 8095 but still
"Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:8095". Oh
the consistently of computing! I will continue with Plone 3 and wait and see
if it disappears like Plone 2 before it! I think I noticed that Plone
Controller said Plone was running when I opened it the time it was
successful and I didn't hit the start button. On previous attempts with the
controller it said it was stopped as the PC dialogue came up.

Each time I used runzope.bat (and got the above error) I had stopped it
previously with Plone Controller and it had said Plone was stopped.

This post might provide a reference for someone else in the future if they
have the same experience. For the moment I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Happy to conduct test etc. if it's helpful and anyone can direct me what I
should do.

Regards

Chris