[Setup] Re: basic questions for minor upgrade (2.5.1 to 2.5.3)

Christopher Boomer cawb at loughshore.com
Fri Jun 1 12:28:22 UTC 2007

bmoon wrote:
> I'm psyching myself up to migrate my Linux Plone site from 2.5.1 to 2.53.
> I'm new to Linux, so everything from making back up copies to shutting down
> Plone has a learning curve. I've found some good reference sites with
> specific command syntax, so I think I'm almost ready to dive in.
>
> But before I do I need some clarification:
>
> -  Can I upgrade straight from 2.5.1 to 2.5.3, or do I need to step to 2.5.2
> first, then 2.5.3?  This isn't clear in the doc I've found.

I upgraded from 2.1.4 to 2.5.2 without difficulty, so I'd give it a
whirl!  The migration tools are (for the most part) excellent.
Generally problems will come from any third party products, which don't
get updated at the same speed.

> -  The readme for the Linux Unified Installer says that "installer-based
> automatic upgrades are not supported", and I'll have to copy over my Data.fs
> and third-party products to a new folder.  But the upgrade doc I found on
> plone.org says that if you're using "the installers", you shouldn't have to
> worry about that.  I know the Windows installer just "overwrote" my existing
> Plone files with the upgrades.

I don't use the installers, just the tarball.  This allows me to keep
2.0, 2.1 and 2.5 instances all on the one server, each using their own
version of Zope.  I've been migrating several now elderly sites over the
course of a few months when I get time.

> It makes it sound like I've got to effectively do a new Plone installation
> just to migrate.  If so, then I've got to really plan for my site to be down
> a while, especially if I've got to step to 2.5.2 first.

Don't bring your site down.  If there's disk space, leave it alone and
install another Zope instance to do your migration work.  It will
respond slowly if you're short of RAM and using both at once.

You'll need to set it to another port, install the new plone, copy over
the Data.fs, and finally when you're happy it works change the Apache
rewrite rules to point to it.

I'm no expert, but I'm happy that a colleague pointed me this way in
2003.  They're a helpful bunch...

cawb ;-)