[Setup] basic questions for minor upgrade (2.5.1 to 2.5.3)

René Pijlman reneOnLists at applinet.nl
Fri Jun 1 11:58:19 UTC 2007

bmoon wrote:
> -  Can I upgrade straight from 2.5.1 to 2.5.3, or do I need to step to 2.5.2
> first, then 2.5.3?

You can upgrade straight from any supported old version (2.5.1) to the
new version (2.5.3), the upgrade procedure will go through all
intermediate steps.

> -  The readme for the Linux Unified Installer says that "installer-based
> automatic upgrades are not supported", and I'll have to copy over my Data.fs
> and third-party products to a new folder.  But the upgrade doc I found on
> plone.org says that if you're using "the installers", you shouldn't have to
> worry about that.

The recommended procedure is documented in:
http://plone.org/documentation/manual/upgrade-guide

I don't think this document says that.

> It makes it sound like I've got to effectively do a new Plone installation
> just to migrate.

Yes, and move Data.fs over and so on.

 > If so, then I've got to really plan for my site to be down
> a while

You should prepare the upgrade in a test environment. Once it's all
prepared, repeating the procedure in the production environment
shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes downtime.

--
René
http://www.applinet.nl