[Setup] basic questions for minor upgrade (2.5.1 to 2.5.3)

bmoon bmoon at m1global.com
Fri Jun 1 11:48:50 UTC 2007

I'm psyching myself up to migrate my Linux Plone site from 2.5.1 to 2.53.
I'm new to Linux, so everything from making back up copies to shutting down
Plone has a learning curve. I've found some good reference sites with
specific command syntax, so I think I'm almost ready to dive in.

But before I do I need some clarification:

-  Can I upgrade straight from 2.5.1 to 2.5.3, or do I need to step to 2.5.2
first, then 2.5.3?  This isn't clear in the doc I've found.

-  The readme for the Linux Unified Installer says that "installer-based
automatic upgrades are not supported", and I'll have to copy over my Data.fs
and third-party products to a new folder.  But the upgrade doc I found on
plone.org says that if you're using "the installers", you shouldn't have to
worry about that.  I know the Windows installer just "overwrote" my existing
Plone files with the upgrades.

It makes it sound like I've got to effectively do a new Plone installation
just to migrate.  If so, then I've got to really plan for my site to be down
a while, especially if I've got to step to 2.5.2 first.

Thanks for any guidance,
Bob