[Setup] Re: Setting up Plone on Mac OS 10.3.9

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Sun Jan 28 21:38:37 UTC 2007

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 20:43:37 -0800, Will
<pythonz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Most of the "easy" installers for PPC appear to want Mac Os 10.4+;
> otherwise
> I appear to have to require an "all platforms" install (8.5MB), which
> requires downloading and installing Zope et al first. For a
> non-programmer
> or pure geek, this seems a bit cumbersome (and like Linux of yore -- this
> requires that to work with that and oh don't forget about that. Sheesh).

There is a so-called "Universal Installer" that will do all the hard work
for you. The problem is one of timing, right now it hasn't been updated
for Plone 2.5.2, but the 2.5.1 version is still available:

Get the "Universal Linux/BSD/UNIX installer (builds Python and Zope from
source)" from:

http://plone.org/products/plone/releases/2.5.1

The 2.5.2 version of this will hopefully be ready within the next few days.

> I don't want to upgrade to Os 10.4+; so are there other easy options for
> getting Plone on my machine? I'm happy to go with an earlier Plone
> release
> if necessary.

OS X 10.4 is close to 2 years old, and since the installer is maintained
by volunteers, we can't expect them to maintain a different code base for
the 10.3 release. Here are some numbers for the various versions from
OmniGroup:

http://update.omnigroup.com

--
Alexander Limi · http://limi.net