[Setup] Re: Setting up Plone on Mac OS 10.3.9

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sun Jan 28 13:30:27 UTC 2007

Will wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have just purchased an ex-lease, Dual 1.8 Ghz PowerPC G5 from my
> employer and have never set-up Plone on a Mac before. Love Mac though :).
>
> Most of the "easy" installers for PPC appear to want Mac Os 10.4+;
> otherwise I appear to have to require an "all platforms" install
> (8.5MB), which requires downloading and installing Zope et al first. For
> a non-programmer or pure geek, this seems a bit cumbersome (and like
> Linux of yore -- this requires that to work with that and oh don't
> forget about that. Sheesh).
>
> I don't want to upgrade to Os 10.4+; so are there other easy options for
> getting Plone on my machine? I'm happy to go with an earlier Plone
> release if necessary.

http://plone.org/documentation/how-to/setup-from-source

Also, you can try ploneout, but it may be a bit experimental still:

  $ svn co http://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/ploneout/branches/2.5 plone2.4
  $ cd plone2.5
  $ python bootstrap.py
  $ bin/buildout -v
  $ parts/instance/zopectl fg

Yes, you will need the shell. This is much easier for you in the long
run than moving back to old and unsupported Plone versions, though.

Martin