[Setup] Re: accent on Plone with ldap problem

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Thu Jan 18 18:22:13 UTC 2007

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 09:13:47 -0800, Roché Compaan
<roche at upfrontsystems.co.za> wrote:

> We are currently migrating a client site using LDAP to Plone 2.5 so we
> are looking at this at the moment.

Great.

> The whole LDAP migration process to Plone 2.5 has been very frustrating.
> So far we have already fixed a couple of bugs in LDAPMultiplugins to get
> it to do more than just authentication. I think it is vital to consider
> the migration path of important infrastructure when releasing a new
> version of Plone. Large sites require LDAP or SQL PAS plugins and we
> need champions to battle test this before or very soon after Plone
> releases. If I had the time or capacity I certainly would, and I guess
> if somebody else had time they would too. Unfortunately, it still hurts
> people's perception of Plone if something as important as LDAP is
> broken.

Absolutely, but I have long abandoned the belief that anyone actually
tests the alphas and the release candidates on proper setups. When I asked
about LDAP, people said "oh, PAS has supported that forever, there's no
problem". Of course, there are a million gotchas like the unicode issues,
and those won't be found or fixed unless somebody actually has a business
need for it.

On the upside, PAS *is* more sane, and will stick with Plone for the
foreseeable future. :)

--
Alexander Limi · http://limi.net