[Setup] Re: stack overflow (possible solved?)

hpinson at indepthl.com hpinson at indepthl.com
Mon Jan 15 16:16:01 UTC 2007

We may have found a solution to the Plone 2.5.2rc1 stack overflow
problem.  I would like comments on our method and solution.

We were able to reproduce the stack overflow error on a clean Plone
site built in a pristine instance of Zope 296, Plone 2.5.2rc1,Python
2.4.4, and Fedora Core 6. No third party products were installed in
this clean instance.

The stack overflow was reproducable on some but not all pcs we
tested. The common denominator seemed to be Windows XP, IE6 or 7, and
maybe office 2003. I am unclear about what version of MSXML these
systems were running.  We were never able to induce the stack
overflow on any system, so the relevance of these variables is
unclear.  The client either threw the error or did not.

We installed a second pristine plone instance on BSD, with the
similar configuration (using Plone 2.5.1 unfortunatly). This instance
did not throw the stack overflow error on and client we tested.

A diff revealed one javascript was being loaded on the Fedora
instance that was not being loaded on the BSD instance.

That script is named: event_registration.js

Disabling that script in plone_javascripts seems to have solved the
problem; no more stack overflow on clients that we can see.

So my questions are:

What does event_registration.js do?

What have we broken by disabling it.

Why would it load in a 2.5.2rc1 instance on Fedora Core 6 and not in
2.5.1 on BSD?

What is it about the client systems that may or may not interact with
this Javascript and throw a stack overflow error? Something Microsoft
indtroduced into the mex very recently?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

I'm not sure if this is the right list for this discussion either...

--
Harlow Pinson
Indepth Learning
Email: hpinson at indepthl.com