[Setup] Re: stack overflow

hpinson at indepthl.com hpinson at indepthl.com
Sun Jan 14 15:42:11 UTC 2007

Hi Richard. We have been able to reproduce it on one laptop, on
Rose's home computer, and on at least one USAID computer.  Like you I
have not personally been able to reproduce this, but Dave Kilman, has
been able to.

All affected boxes are Windows XP.

Alex Limi has reason to believe this is an XML parsing problem
related to MSXML caused by Microsoft silently upgrading the MSXML
API. He believes it is related to an installation of Office 2003 and
IE7.

He thinks it is fixed in the 2.5.2rc1 update. We installed that and
still experince the problem.  Also, all of our affected computers are
not running Office 2003. Two computers are running IE6.

Each of these computers also experiences the stack overflow message
when interacting with Plone.org, which Alex says is still running
2.1.x.  This quite odd, and really convinces me that this is a client-
side interaction with Plone, and probably Javascript or XML related.

CacheFu is compounding the debugging issue, and I have uninstalled
it, since frankly it is very complex, poorly documented, and I don't
understand it well.

Other things I have tried is replacing sarrisa.js (it seems to be in
at least four places and I'm not at all sure I did this right), and
upgrading to Zope 2.9.6 (which incidently got rid of the annoying
logger bug, and so far seems stable).

Another interesting thing, is that a clean Plone 2.5.2rc1 site
produced with this configuration does not seem to produce the stack
overflow-- so no doubt it is something in our skin.

We have actually been using Firebug to traverse the js, but with no
clear indication of the problem yet, other than it is probably in one
of the merged JS files.  We are getting more sophisticated in our
Firebug usage, so maybe that will point to something.

I'm pretty much running out of ideas...  we may lose our funding over
this, and Plone will get a huge black eye with the Feds.

--
Harlow Pinson
Indepth Learning
Email: hpinson at indepthl.com