[Setup] Plone 2.0.4 to 2.5.1 migration problem with GRUF/PAS

Toby Gustafson tobyg at tyrell.com
Thu Feb 22 18:25:24 UTC 2007

Hello,

   I have a Plone site I recently migrated from 2.0.4 to 2.5.1 (if I had
waited a few weeks, I could have gone to 2.5.2).  Because we are using
CMFStaging, there is a GRUF acl_users above the two Plone sites.  This
GRUF did _not_ get converted to PAS.

   The Plone sites, because they are using staging, originally had their
acl_users removed, so they were using the GRUF acl_users above them.  The
migration to to 2.5.1 caused new PAS acl_users to be added to the Plone
sites, but of course the user/group/role information from the above GRUF
is no longer accessible.

   If I remove the new acl_users from the Plone sites, I get errors if
trying to do anything with users, since PlonePAS expects to be working
with PAS and not GRUF.

   I have tried to convert the GRUF to PAS by using and modifying some of
the migration scripts in PlonePAS and PAS, but without success.

   If anybody has any suggestions on how I can migrate this GRUF object to
PAS, I would appreciate it.

   Another thought I had was to delete the GRUF, and a PAS, and re-add the
users.  However, it is not just the users, it's the group and role data as
well.  Especially for roles, I do not know how to add it to PAS.

   While searching the Plone site, I did see a reference to a "switch" in
Plone that would tell it to use GRUF instead of PAS.  I was not able to
find this in the code or UI, however.  While I would prefer to switch to
PAS to keep up-to-date with the proper products, staying with GRUF would
be acceptible if somebody knows how to do this.

Thanks in advance,
--Toby.
Toby Gustafson
Senior Software Engineer