[Setup] Re: portal_memberdata wiped on upgrade from 2.1.4 to 2.5.2

Philip Kilner phil at xfr.co.uk
Tue Feb 6 10:39:04 UTC 2007

Hi All,

Philip Kilner wrote:
> I've been upgrading many small sites from 2.1.4 to 2.5.2, and am
> noticing that portal_memberdata is empty after the upgrade.

I've now had the chance to test this on a completely clean Zope 2.8.8
instance, and can now confirm that this happens even in that case.

Process: -
- Create Zope 2.8.8 Instance.
- Install Plone 2.1.4
- Create Plone site and add test member data.
- Install Plone 2.5.2
- Install Five 1.2.6 (required for Plone 2.5.2)
- Check portal_memberdata - OK
- Run migration
- Check portal_memberdata - No records.

Looking at the install log for PlonePAS, I see: -

MemberData Tool (portal_memberdata)
 ...copying actions
  ...extracting data
 - Removing Default
 - Installing PAS Aware
 ...restoring actions
 ...restoring data <-- great fat steaming pork pie!
 ...done

...which (as far as restoring the data is concerned) is wholly untrue. I
must say that I find that worrying, as it undermines ones faith in the
accuracy of the logging.

It's nearly a fortnight since I posted about this problem, and aside
from one off-list reply reporting the same symptoms there has been no
response. I find this a bit disconcerting, as this is an easily
reproducible problem which wipes critical data, and as a result I'm
wondering if I'm doing something wrong either in my process or my
interpretation of what I see, or is this is an uncommon upgrade path -
surely not?

On the face of it this is a pretty serious issue (It's certainly wasting
a lot of my time at the moment), so unless anyone can point me in the
right direction I propose to report this as a Plone bug. If I don't get
any comments, I'll ask again on the main Plone users list before I do so.

--

Regards,

PhilK

'let's hear it for the vague blur'