[Setup] Virtual Hosting Setup using VHM

ExacMan craig.bush at exac.com
Thu Dec 27 20:54:02 UTC 2007

Hi.

We're relatively new users of Zope 2.10.5 final, Python 2.4.4, and Plone
3.0.4. After having reviewed most of the documentation related to the
configuration, we decided to use VHM (virtual host monster) to handle the
virtual hosting of our main website to the /Plone instance, and changed the
zope.conf to reflect port 80.

The difficulty now is that we cannot get to the admin without remoting
directly to the webserver and connecting via http://localhost/manage. We
want to be able to get to the Plone admin as well as the /Plone instance
without doing this (i.e. using a web browser).

I know that in reading the support documents and other web resources, that
many people are using Apache instead, and also it is recommended to expose
the admin in a different way (and we're in particular not doing it right),
but I have found no coherent articles on how to accomplish this. I've used
this link for example to sort of show me how it works:
http://www.insmallsteps.com/lessons/lesson-hosting-install/mapping-the-virtual-host
http://www.insmallsteps.com/lessons/lesson-hosting-install/mapping-the-virtual-host
but it go further on explaining how to set up the admin.yourwebsite.com to
work properly with VHM.

Excuse the newbieness, but I very little familiarity with Plone/Zope so any
help would be most appreciated. We're about to go live with our site, and
I'm proud to say we're very happy with Plone/Zope so far from a
user-friendly standpoint.

If additional information is needed, please let me know.

Craig.