[Setup] Plone3: problem using buildout

Toni Mueller toni.mueller at oeko.net
Tue Dec 18 15:45:13 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm trying to get a Plone3 instance installed using buildout ("latest"
mode, just updated today) for a deployment configuration, according to
eg. Martin's nice tutorial.

Everything installs "semi-fine" in that the general machinery works if I
don't attempt to use 'user' or 'effective-user' statements, but run all
processes as me. But I have trouble finding additional information about
doing it in a realistic way, eg. with separate users for these
processes, or otherwise customized zeo.conf and zope.conf configuration
files (ie, extend/modify the recipes). I also have some strange problems
that I couldn't yet fathom:

* Starting ZEO works nicely, regardless whether I try to switch
    the user or not.

* Starting the Zope client ("primary") works nicely if I start
    it as me, regardless whether I say "start" or "fg".

* Starting the Zope client as root using "start", using an
    'effective-user' statement in parts/primary/etc/zope.conf,
    does NOT work in that the process starts nicely and doesn't
    produce any error messages in the logs (var/log/primary*.log),
    but it does not open the listening socket. IOW, I cannot
    send any requests to this process.

* Starting it as root saying "fg" instead (ie, "./bin/primary fg"),
    it does not even start, but yields this error message:

# ./bin/primary fg
"/home/toni/zope/ffii-plone/parts/primary/bin/runzope"
Traceback (most recent call last):
    File
"/home/toni/zope/ffii-plone/parts/zope2/lib/python/Zope2/Startup/run.py",
line 56, in ?
    File
"/home/toni/zope/ffii-plone/parts/zope2/lib/python/Zope2/Startup/run.py",
line 21, in run
    File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/PIL/__init__.py", line 99, in
prepare

    File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/PIL/__init__.py", line 293, in
makeLockFile

ImportError: No module named misc.lock_file

Of course, the file is there, and I also chown'ed -R toni:zope and chmod
-R g+rwX everything, so access should really not be a problem.

What gives?

Best,
--Toni++