[Setup] possible fixes in 2.5.5

deesto john.destefano at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 19:46:26 UTC 2007

deesto wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>

> Steve McMahon wrote:
>>
>> Yes, 2.5.5 should fix it. No, it shouldn't be a difficult upgrade.
>>
> I downloaded and uncompressed 2.5.5 from Plone.org (strange: it downloaded
> as a .tar.gz, but it wouldn't gunzip; had to rename it to just a .tar
> file), and it seemed like just a collection of Products.  So I extracted
> its contents in my Products directory (in Linux), and this created a new
> "Products/Plone-2.5.5" folder.  I suspect that's not the proper location:
> these need to overwrite the existing directories in Products/, but that
> doesn't easily happen in Linux when moving directories.  So I had to
> delete all the existing, relevant directories in Products/ (without
> deleting anything else) before moving the extracted, new directories
> there.  I then fixed ownership of the new directories (chown -R
> plone:wheel .), and restarted the ZEO cluster.
>
> I then had to go to Add/Remove Products on the Plone site, re-install a
> bunch of upgraded products (Archetypes, PasswordResetTool, etc., although
> this claimed to "upgrade" my installation of kupu v1.4.4 to 1.3.9?), and
> restart the cluster again.
>
> Unfortunately, after all that, Site Setup still shows my Plone site as
> "Plone 2.5.3-final", and the problems with folders still exist.
>
> I must have missed a step?  Where did I screw up?

In addition to those steps, it seems I forgot to migrate the content types:
/portal_atct/manage_versionMigration/

... and to migrate the site:
/portal_migration/manage_migrate/

One I did that, the site was fully upgraded to 2.5.5.  However, I still have
the same problems as before:
- Can't create new Folders, or edit Folder descriptions.
- Raw variable strings appear in portal messages that confirm the creation
of new objects.

:confused:

I didn't see a mention of those issues in the release notes, but I hoped
from Steve's reply that the upgrade would address them.  Should it have?

Thanks.
~John