[Setup] possible fixes in 2.5.5

deesto john.destefano at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 19:32:28 UTC 2007

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply.

Steve McMahon wrote:

> Yes, 2.5.5 should fix it. No, it shouldn't be a difficult upgrade.

I downloaded and uncompressed 2.5.5 from Plone.org (strange: it downloaded
as a .tar.gz, but it wouldn't gunzip; had to rename it to just a .tar file),
and it seemed like just a collection of Products.  So I extracted its
contents in my Products directory (in Linux), and this created a new
"Products/Plone-2.5.5" folder.  I suspect that's not the proper location:
these need to overwrite the existing directories in Products/, but that
doesn't easily happen in Linux when moving directories.  So I had to delete
all the existing, relevant directories in Products/ (without deleting
anything else) before moving the extracted, new directories there.  I then
fixed ownership of the new directories (chown -R plone:wheel .), and
restarted the ZEO cluster.

I then had to go to Add/Remove Products on the Plone site, re-install a
bunch of upgraded products (Archetypes, PasswordResetTool, etc., although
this claimed to "upgrade" my installation of kupu v1.4.4 to 1.3.9?), and
restart the cluster again.

Unfortunately, after all that, Site Setup still shows my Plone site as
"Plone 2.5.3-final", and the problems with folders still exist.

I must have missed a step?  Where did I screw up?

> You also have the option to apply the second version of the hotfix,
> which should also fix the problems:
>
> http://plone.org/products/plone-hotfix/releases/20071106-2

I think that would have been far easier, but I figured I may as well try and
"upgrade" to the latest supported version instead of installing another
version of the same HotFix.

Thanks,
~John