[Setup] SSL Error 1408F10B Connecting to GMAIL

jere.r jere.retzer at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 03:21:52 UTC 2007

I'm setting up Plone 3.0 under Windows. It is currently as downloaded and
installed from the released version. On setting up the mailhost to use GMAIL
I get the following error when I attempt to add users:

Failed to create your account: we were unable to send your password to your
email address: (1, 'error:1408F10B:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD:wrong
version number')

I'm using port 587 to connect to smtp.gmail.com and set up the Plone
mailhost using the ZMI. This configuration seems to work fine with another
ISP but not with GMAIL.

Does anyone have any suggestions to fix or work around this problem? Thanks