[Setup] 'ascii' codec error

Robert HERZOG rherzog at aamodels.be
Thu Apr 12 17:38:41 UTC 2007

Hi,
I have the nasty error message

UnicodeDecodeError: '*ascii*' *codec* can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 95: ordinal not in range(128)

I mentioned this as a bug in "Plone setup" yesterday. Now, while reinstalling the "unified 2.5.2" package,
I happened to look at the compilation of the whole stuff and saw an inspiring warning message during the compilation
of Python 2.4.4. It mentioned that a value could not be attributed to a variable, due to a limitation of the range.
I wonder whether this could not be the culprit of the 'ascii' codec error encountered inside Plone, while
translating with LinguaPlone to langages where accented characters are in use, where values outside the range 128
are to be given.
I experimented with a few other languages and found that Turkish also produces the error, while Norvegian, Dutch and
Esperanto(!) do not.

Hope this error can be fixed soon (a hotfix maybe ?) as I need to install a multilingual CMS very soon and am reluctant
at moving away from Plone...
Robert Herzog