[Setup] Re: How to change admin password in Plone 2.5

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Mon Sep 18 10:47:24 UTC 2006

Jan Huus, on 2006-09-16:
> Thanks very much Harry - that worked. I guess eventually I'll understand why
> there's one acl_users in Plone and another in Zope, and they're not quite the
> same :-)

I can try to explain it.

The admin user creates a new Zope instance.  At that moment an
acl_users folder is made in the root zope folder.  The admin user is
registered there.

Then the admin creates a Plone site, or even two plone sites.  Plone
uses its own acl_users folder.  The user 'admin' is known in the top
acl_users of Zope and can access any Plone site and also any plain
Zope content in the entire instance.

A user that is added as Manager to the first Plone site cannot manage
the second plone site and also not other Zope content.

Maybe the most clear use case for this is that you can host several
Plone sites (e.g. for different customers) in one instance.  They
won't like it if users who are registered on a different site can
login to their own site, especially not when those users are managers,
perhaps from a competitor. ;-) Having a users folder per plone site
helps here.

--
Maurits van Rees | http://maurits.vanrees.org/ [NL]
            Work | http://zestsoftware.nl/