[Setup] site migration + synchronization (subversion)

Robert Nagle idiotprogrammer at fastmailbox.net
Sun Sep 17 19:54:38 UTC 2006

I'm looking to deploy a plone site.

A few questions.
1. if I migrate a plone site from one hosting service to another, how?
(Has anyone written about it before?) Is it simply a matter of uploading
Data.fs to the appropriate spot and making sure the same product
versions are installed? How do people handle the migration of ZPTs and
skins? (i.e., migrate them together with zodb or make some attempt to
migrate them separately).

2. I've seen deployment strategies that mention using subversion. I'm
still a subversion newbie , so bear with me.
In Matt Rohrer's installation how-to, he describes the advantages of
using subversion to keep track of products.
http://plone.org/documentation/tutorial/robust-installation/installing-plone

I'm a little confused here. Will i need to create a subversion server on
both my laptop and my deployment server?  Or only on my laptop? (Right
now I don't even have a deployment server to deploy to).

Robert Nagle
Houston, Texas
http://www.imaginaryplanet.net/weblogs/idiotprogrammer/