[Setup] Re: Product installs, Kupu calls, Konqueror stalls

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Thu Sep 14 19:20:00 UTC 2006

Hi Harry,

Harry Mangalam, on 2006-09-14:
> Hi,
> Caution: newbie questions, tho they seem not to have been FAQed yet.

I'll give it a try.

> I just installed the zope/plone combo src distro direct from plone.org
> on a Kubuntu AMD64 Linux. This is Plone 2.5 & Zope   It comes up OK
> and seems to work.  However, when adding new products, some don't
> appear in the Zope admin page, primarily the Quills blogging pkg,
> which was installed along with zwiki and FAQulator, both of which
> showed up immediately.  Is there a special install approach for this
> pkg? (Yes, I restarted zope multiple times since installing the
> packages)

The Zope admin page?  Do you mean the Zope Management Interface (ZMI),
where on the left you see Root Folder, Control Panel, acl_user,
etcetera?  And you don't see Quills in the box on the right with lots
of entries and an Add button next to it?  Then the problem would be
that Quills is a product for Plone, not for Zope.  So you should not
install it in Zope, but in Plone (go to site setup, on the top right).

Note that Quills _should_ be listed in the Control Panel of Zope,
which in my case is located at:
http://localhost:8080/Control_Panel/Products/manage_workspace

Does that help or did I misinterpret your problem?

> Also, altho it's obviously installed (as part of the default) I
> haven't yet come across a composition page which invokes Kupu or the
> FCKeditor (which seems to have installed fine - I can set prefs, see
> it installed in the Products page). Is there some kind of config
> magic that needs to be invoked to call these into being?  Dancing
> girls?  Goat sacrifice?  I'd love to try them (the editors).  There's
> no sign of them in the zwiki, the page composer, nor any page that I
> would expect to see this great composer.

First of all, not every content that you add to Plone has a rich text
field that can be used by kupu or FCKeditor.  But yes, adding a
document or simply editing the front page, should present you with a
rich field where one of those editors should be loaded.

I guess you haven't yet set the personal preferences for this user.
Go to preferences, then click Personal Preferences.  This page has a
selection box for Content editor where you can select either kupu,
FCKeditor or a basic editor.  That should work.

> Also, when using Konqueror to access the Plone pages, I get complete
> CPU utilization by the Konq browser related to the plone pages.  This
> doesn't happen with Opera or Firefox.  Is this known or should I file
> a bug report?

I haven't heard of this.  It is not clear upfront if this is a Plone
problem or a Konqueror problem.  You may want to search the bug
trackers of Plone and Konqueror.  Has anyone else heard of this?

> Also, and this is REALLY a newbie question, but where do you change
> your password?  Not in Personal Preferences that I can see.  I see
> that you can request a new, completely unguessable, completely
> unmemorable password to be sent to you by email, but if I know my
> password && I've logged in && I want to change it to something else,
> is it possible to do that?

The initial user that you used to create the Zope instance and
probably the Plone Site, is a special user that is only known in the
top acl_users folder of Zope.  You can go to the ZMI and change your
password there.  Changing the password for that particular user in
Plone is not possible.

For normal users there is a "Change Password" link in the preferences
of that user.

Related may be: Site Setup > Portal Settings > Password Policy.

I hope that helps.  Feel free to ask followup questions on the list.

--
Maurits van Rees | http://maurits.vanrees.org/ [NL]
            Work | http://zestsoftware.nl/