[Setup] Re: non-Ascii driving me up the wall... Help !

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Wed Sep 6 18:06:41 UTC 2006

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 10:06:32 -0700, spare store
<sparestore at gmail.com> wrote:

> I thought up HOWEVER I can not get Plone to stop changing the non-ascii
> charchters to ? IE ä Ö å  are turned into ? and because of the site
> contributers this means hundreds of documents that are useless.
>
> I can transfer to Zope root and there fine but as soon as I copy them
> into
> the Plone portal the charcters change.

This is because you are pasting something that is most likely ISO encoded
directly into a UTF-8-based site. If you ask on the i18n list, I'm sure
people can help you.

The "problem" here is that you're transfering existing Zope objects (which
are not unicode/utf8) into Plone (which is).

You will need a conversion process to make this work.

http://www.faqs.org/docs/diveintopython/kgp_unicode.html

As a "quick fix", you could set the site encoding to ISO, but this might
have unintended consequences down the road. In any case, this is not a
setup question, try http://plone.org/support#i18n :)