[Setup] Re: UWC student running into a brick wall

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Nov 21 00:28:23 UTC 2006

jjordaan wrote:
> On 11/16/06, jjordaan <2111279 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> i have finaly set up Python.
>> now im havin trouble with Python Imaging Library.
>> it doesnt find the packages i require.
>> i know its probably not pointing to the correct path.
>> but im not that experienced with linux.
>> and dont know where to modify the installation
>> it gives the following output:
>

> PIL 1.1.5 BUILD SUMMARY
>> version       1.1.5
>> platform      linux2 2.4.3 (#14, Nov 16 2006, 11:53:33)
>>               [GCC 4.0.3 (Ubuntu 4.0.3-1ubuntu4)]
>> *** TKINTER support not available
>> *** JPEG support not available
>> --- ZLIB (PNG/ZIP) support ok
>> *** FREETYPE2 support ok
>>
>> -jjordaan

Looks like your running Ubuntu, you can install PIL using the package
management system, it will handle all dependencies for you, same for
python. Either use Synaptic or from the command line
$sudo apt-get install python-imaging
if you need it for python 2.4
$sudo apt-get install python2.4-imaging

When you get around to Zope you can also use the package manager.
Personally I prefer to do this step from source. On Ubuntu there's a
great tool to allow you to log things you install from source, called
checkinstall, I recommend you use it any time you're installing from
source so it makes it easy to uninstall or upgrade.

Alex