[Setup] Current Plone build on Fedora broken?

Benton Roberts benton at panix.com
Mon Nov 13 21:03:26 UTC 2006

Hello, all.

I am having a problem creating a new Plone site, on a freshly-installed
Fedora build of Zope. Here's the entire configuration history of this
system:

1) Installed Fedora Core 5 with the 'minimal' package set
2) Ran 'yum -y update', and then rebooted to the latest kernel
3) Ran 'yum -y install plone'
4) Ran 'zopectl adduser admin temp_password'
5) Ran 'service zope start'

This procedure installs the current Fedora build of Plone (2.5.1-2.fc5)
built on Zope 2.9.4-2.fc5. The fourth step generates some deprecation
warnings, but seems to work OK. So I point my browser to
http://myhost:8080/manage and login with the above credentials. So far,
so good. But when I try to create a Plone site by selecting 'Plone Site'
from the 'Add' pulldown menu, and filling in the three required fields,
I get an error page with the following message:
======================================
Site Error
Error Type: AttributeError
Error Value: previous
Troubleshooting Suggestions
    * The URL may be incorrect.
    * The parameters passed to this resource may be incorrect.
    * A resource that this resource relies on may be encountering an error.
For more detailed information about the error, please refer to the error
log.
If the error persists please contact the site maintainer. Thank you for
your patience.
======================================

I'm a little suprised that I can't find other reports of this problem,
given the ubiquity of Fedora in general (and presumably the above
install process in particular). Has anyone else run into this problem,
or know how to fix it?

Thanks,
--
-benton