[Setup] Re: Exclude from Breadcrums?

Nick Davis nd51 at le.ac.uk
Thu Nov 9 09:33:09 UTC 2006

smoove_e wrote:
  the problem applies only to registered users, who still shouldn't
> be able to navigate backwards into a breadcrumb trail (in certain
> circumstances; e.g. as outlined below).
>
> Is it possible to disable breadcrumbs only for specific pages?
> If so, anyone have the syntax to perform this?
> (Perhaps an expansion of the code provided below)

Wendi,
   Since the breadcrumbs is hierarchical, what I don't understand is how
you ever end up in a situation where you're looking at object X which
you've got permission to look at, while folder Y is appearing in the
breadcrumb trail which you don't have permission to look at.
   Surely in this case when you try to access object X, it'll try to
traverse down via folder Y and on hitting Y will not let you any
further. (Unless you've done something a bit too clever with the
permissions...)
   In other words, if you're looking at X, then obviously you MUST be
able to see everything above X, in order to get to X. So how could the
breadcrumbs possibly contain something you're not meant to see?  ;-)
   The breadcrumbs is autogenerated just like navigation. You'd have to
  make your own version to get it to do what you're asking.
   Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly but it seems to me :
1) You may be able to achieve what you want by just rearranging your
site a bit
and/or
2) You may have done something a bit strange with your permissions
and/or
3) Its possible (though unlikely) you may have stumbled across a bug in
Plone.

Hope this helps....
Regards,
Nick