[Setup] Re: yum install plone, what is next?

Raphael Ritz r.ritz at biologie.hu-berlin.de
Wed May 31 14:19:04 UTC 2006

Serveur-Faucon Surveillance wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have a FC5 server and use this command :
>
> yum install plone
>
> What is next?
>
> I can see that there is a new service called zope, that I could start. Searching on this list and on google for >"yum install plone"< gives me 8 results.
>
> If I start zope, I can get to localhost:8080, but the result is very different from the easy Windows installer.

Now you see why we keep on saying: "Install from source"
(because then you would know what you need to know now)

Having no idea what you generated this way, there has to be
some initial user: best bet is 'admin' but it could be anything
(maybe according to some packaging/distro default?)
Next thing you need is the admin's password: '12345' maybe?
If you cannot figure this out, create an emergency user
to log in with just to create the admin account (this alone
is typically harder than installing everything from source
if you need to figure out how to do this first)

Most probably your Zope has a Plone site instantiated as well.
"All" you need to know is it's 'id': maybe 'Plone'?
To figure this out, you need to log in at 'localhost:8080/manage'
(once you have the above mentioned credentials)
(or do try-and-error based search; or look for some distro-specific
docs on how they set things up - which may or may not exist ...)

Also be prepared that your system might be cluttered around in
the file systems in ways that you might not be able to figure
out easily - unless you know the distro's policy - which
can make installation-related standard docs in the Zope/Plone
world sometimes useless for you.

Further note that some distros are known to enforce set-ups
which combine explicitly unsupported Python/Zope combinations.
Typically because they want to use the system's default Python
which isn't necessarily the most brilliant idea as Zope is
known to be picky on its Python. This can cause major trouble
further down the road (when upgrading).

If you want to more than just a little bit of tinkering around
I strongly suggest you build yourself a local Python/Zope/Plone
from source. It's worth it.

Raphael