[Setup] Re: Migrate from Debian to Windows

Nick Davis nd51 at le.ac.uk
Tue May 9 16:38:26 UTC 2006

Hi Sinead,

> We are moving back to Windows for a few reasons.
>
> We are a Government Dept and knowledge of Debian is kind of limited to me. And
> to rely on my knowledge would be a bad thing, as I am not very au fait with it.
> I would definitely be more comfortable with Windows.
That sounds like good reasoning, to do what you know.

The only thing I would argue is if you could ever persuade them to send
you on a course in Linux (Debian, Red Hat or whatever), those skills
would probably far outlast skills you learn in Windows, on the basis
that a lot of 1970s Unix knowledge is still relevant today. Just my 2c...

> However, we are predominantly a Windows house, so it is the logical step now
> that we have decided to roll out Plone for our websites to use this OS.
Like you say standardisation makes sense.

I think that many of the arguments for using Plone over commercial
closed-source offerings, also apply to using Linux over Windows.

However it sounds like you have good reasons for sticking with Windows.
I just couldn't resist asking. ;-)

Hope it all works out, once you have the same Zope, Plone and Python on
Windows that you had on Linux.

All the best.

Nick